Erica Breunlin will present a workshop
on January 28, 9:00-10:30 a.m. at the Nonprofit Center of Milwaukee
Making the Headlines:
How to Effecively Engage Reporters with Your Stories
Click here for details
and to register
Erica Breunlin is a reporter for BizTimes Milwaukee with a focus on nonprofits and education. Breunlin will partner with the Nonprofit Center of Milwaukee on Jan. 28 to lead a workshop on ways nonprofits can connect with media outlets. See her preview of ways to connect specifically with BizTimes Milwaukee below.
Guest blog by Erica Breunlin
With the array of services and programs nonprofit organizations operate for individuals and families in need, BizTimes Milwaukee recognizes how critical the nonprofit sector is to the region’s vitality and economy. With this mindset, our business magazine values the nonprofit beat as highly as our other industry focal points. In addition to highlighting significant milestones in the nonprofit community, we are eager to explore relations between nonprofits and corporate advocates as well as examine the challenges today’s nonprofits face.
Story ideas submitted by nonprofit organizations, through press releases, phone calls, emails and social media, form the backbone of our coverage. And as a reporter on this beat, I am always looking to connect with nonprofit organizations to learn more about their missions and their intersections with southeastern Wisconsin’s businesses. I welcome any nonprofits with story ideas to contact me at email@example.com or at 414-336-7121.
A little bit more about BizTimes
BizTimes Milwaukee is a Milwaukee-based magazine dedicated to covering business news as it unfolds in southeastern Wisconsin. The magazine publishes in print every other week (on Mondays) and updates news daily on www.biztimes.com. With a circulation of 13,000+, the publication primarily caters to business executives at the C-Suite level. BizTimes Milwaukee breaks its coverage down into banking and finance, manufacturing, real estate, health care, human resources, technology, arts and entertainment, and nonprofits.
Opportunities for nonprofit coverage
1. The Nonprofit Weekly: This online newsletter is published every Friday morning and focuses on newsworthy developments shaping the region’s nonprofit sector. All our stories on nonprofits have some tie or relevance to the business community. While human interest stories can make fascinating reads, we tend to stick to hard news items that connect to the business community in some capacity.
2. The Nonprofit Directory: BizTimes’ online Nonprofit Directory is a collection of profiles of area nonprofits. The directory serves as a resource for area businesses interested in learning what organizations exist in Milwaukee’s nonprofit sector and ways they can contribute to a particular organization’s mission. Each profile of each nonprofit in the directory features the nonprofit’s mission, focus areas, executive leadership, board of directors, key donors, ways the business community can be involved, key fundraising events, etc. The directory is free to join.
3. The Nonprofit Spotlight: This spotlight runs in each print issue of BizTimes Milwaukee and features the profile of a nonprofit organization listed in BizTimes’ online Nonprofit Directory. The spotlight introduces the organization to our print readers and gives them a good snapshot of the organization’s mission and objectives. The spotlight is also free for nonprofits.
4. Nonprofit News: This section runs in each print publication of BizTimes Milwaukee and features one story that is critical to the nonprofit sector. Examples of stories in this section include the launch of a nonprofit volunteer app and the completion of a community giving campaign.
5. Special Report on “The Business of Nonprofits”: In each print issue of BizTimes Milwaukee, we publish stories centered on special report topics, such as “Wealth Management” and “Innovation & Technology.” In some past issues, our special report has been “The Business of Nonprofits.” Stories under this special report might cover the work of a particular nonprofit organization, a trend experienced among area nonprofits, or best practices for nonprofit operations.
6. Milwaukee Biz Blogs: At least twice a week, BizTimes runs blog posts on our website (www.biztimes.com). These blogs, often submitted by area business professionals and executives, give a platform to individuals looking to voice a concern to the business community, call the community to action, address controversies, celebrate business progress, offer expertise on complex issues, etc. Biz Blogs cover a range of topics pertinent to the business community.
7. Around Town Galleries: These photo galleries capture area events, from social and networking events to panel events and seminars to fundraisers and benefits. BizTimes reporters shoot many of these galleries, but our editorial team also welcomes photo submissions. In addition to running Around Town Galleries on our website, we run a gallery in each of our print issues.
8. The Giving Guide: This supplementary publication, published each November, provides southeastern Wisconsin’s business community a vehicle to connect with area nonprofit organizations for philanthropic involvement. On the advertising side, the Giving Guide features the missions, volunteer opportunities and giving opportunities of more than 30 regional nonprofits offering a range of services and resources to residents in need. On the editorial side, the publication includes a section called “Profiles in Philanthropy,” which highlights impactful relationships between local businesses and nonprofits. BizTimes’ Giving Guide can be viewed at www.biztimes.com/giving.
BizTimes Media’s new BizTimes Nonprofit Excellence Awards: These awards recognize both the philanthropic contributions of corporate citizens in the region and the impactful work of area nonprofit organizations. Visit www.biztimes.com/npawards for more information.